[Snort-users] Extracting Snort alerts from DB

elof at ...6680... elof at ...6680...
Tue Dec 18 07:03:42 EST 2012

If you're thinking of using db schema 107 (the usual one) you loose.
The packet is not stored anywhere in the database.
It is chopped up in bits and pieces that are stored all over the place.

You'll have to write a script that glue all those pieces together again,
put them in the correct place in the packet and add a correct pcap-header.

There are missing bits of the packet, so your glued-together-packet will
not have correct checksums.
You also have to deal with offsets/values that need special
treatment, e.g be converted before appended/inserted into the new packet.

In short:
I recommend you to extract the full packet as-is directly from the
unified2 file or from the pcap-file that barnyard2 create instead of
gluing together the chopped pieces from the database.

/Elof