[Snort-users] Best practice for logging alerts to syslog

Jason Haar Jason_Haar at ...15306...
Mon Dec 17 22:41:31 EST 2012

On 18/12/12 04:03, Joel Esler wrote:

> I'd personally prefer to have Snort output to unified2 and have
> barnyard2 deal with it.
>
> Allows for much more than just syslog in that case.  You know, in case
> Snort dies or something, at least the logs are there for backup.

?? If snort was set to generate syslogs and it died - you wouldn't lose
any events as they would have already been sent to syslog... :-)

I'd go with the contrary view: if all you want are syslog events, then
reduce complexity and drop barnyard and stick to snort. Sometimes less
is more...

--
Cheers

Jason Haar