[Snort-users] NIDS on large (>500MB) pcap dumps

Fri Dec 14 18:11:15 EST 2012

You need to rebuild your so rule files.  Pulled Pork can do this for you.

-----Original Message-----
From: Steve Marotta [mailto:smarotta at ...16014...]
Sent: Friday, December 14, 2012 2:07 PM
To: Balasubramaniam Natarajan
Cc: snort-users at lists.sourceforge.net
Subject: Re: [Snort-users] NIDS on large (>500MB) pcap dumps

Thanks to everyone for the responses. I compiled Snort from source (I had originally installed using Ubuntu apt-get), configuring it with --enable-large-pcap. I downloaded rule set 2930 and set it up, configured the snort.conf file, and when I try to run it now, I get:

ERROR: The dynamic detection library "/usr/local/snort/lib/snort_dynamicrules/imap.so" version 1.0 compiled with dynamic engine library version 1.16 isn't compatible with the current dynamic engine library "/usr/local/snort/lib/snort_dynamicengine/libsf_engine.so" version 1.17.
Fatal Error, Quitting..

Both of these files are in the same rule set that I downloaded. I can understand a conflict between two different things that I've installed, but a conflict between two items in one package is puzzling.

So I'm figuring that the issue is that I installed Snort version 2.9.4 but could only get rulesets for 2.9.3.x. I'm looking around for an older version of Snort so I can use the only rules I can get access to, and I can't seem to find anywhere that lets me download 2.9.3.0 or 2.9.3.1. Am I missing something?

THIS MESSAGE IS INTENDED FOR THE USE OF THE PERSON TO WHOM IT IS ADDRESSED. IT MAY CONTAIN INFORMATION THAT IS PRIVILEGED, CONFIDENTIAL AND EXEMPT FROM DISCLOSURE UNDER APPLICABLE LAW. If you are not the intended recipient, your use of this message for any purpose is strictly prohibited. If you have received this communication in error, please delete the message and notify the sender so that we may correct our records.

LogMeIn Rescue: Anywhere, Anytime Remote support for IT. Free Trial Remotely access PCs and mobile devices and provide instant support Improve your efficiency, and focus on delivering more value-add services Discover what IT Professionals Know. Rescue delivers http://p.sf.net/sfu/logmein_12329d2d