[Snort-users] trying this again (UNCLASSIFIED)

Rhoades.Jon Rhoades.Jon at ...15614...
Thu Dec 13 08:59:54 EST 2012

I run about 15 sensors under Ubuntu but will try and help. Probably be a lot of back and forth as your description does not have a lot of details and it is a big request.

Questions. Let's start with snort

1)      How did you install snort? RPMs or source and compile? If compile what options did you pass to snort in the configure command?

2)      Is snort running? ps -eaf | grep snort cut and paste the output.

3)      If snort is running is it generating output. The typical place to dump what snort finds is /var/log/sort but that can be changed. In the directory do you see files like this? snort.u2.1355029461

4)      If snort is running kill it then run snort without the -D option and see what it says. If it has something it does not like you should see it on the console.

5)      What is snort supposed to listen to? Do you have TAPs? Span port? Basically are you getting traffic for snort to watch and how are you doing it.

Enough for now. See what you reply with and go from there.

-Jon Rhoades