[Snort-users] Fixes for autosnort users as well as all Debian 6 and CentOS 6.3 snort report users

waldo kitty wkitty42 at ...14940...
Sat Dec 1 19:07:47 EST 2012

On 12/1/2012 12:12, Tony Robinson wrote:
> my replies below yours:

inline? great! that's the way it /should/ be ;) ;)

> On Sat, Dec 1, 2012 at 11:38 AM, waldo kitty wkitty42 at ...14940...
> wrote:
>     why not just fix the short open tags to proper long tags?
>
> 1. Sorry, I did NOT write snort report. I'm just posting what I had to do to
> make it work. I had to do a bit of research on the web to figure this out, and
> apparently I wasn't the first one <http://seclists.org/snort/2012/q3/1101> to
> run into this problem.

no need to apologize... i wasn't aware of exactly what the problem was but i'm
aware of this particular problem over the entire industry... i really wish that
the php folks had not introduced this so called feature... it promotes what i
call "lazy coder" syndrome ;)

i'm sure there are hundreds of thousands of similar reports of "problems"
related to the use of this "feature"... it does also cause problems with xml
unless one knows about it and codes specifically to handle it...

>     and here again... why not make the change in the code so it is never a problem
>     any more instead of requiring everyone else to change their configurations?
>

> See reply to answer 1 above. the script I provide installs snort report.. I did
> not write snort report nor have any affiliation with symmetrix, the creators of
> that front end. I do not know PHP well enough to do what you suggest, nor am I a
> memeber of the snort report team.  I'm posting a solution to a problem others
> have had. outside of scripting in BASH in terms of programming I'm a lame duck
> and will own up to it. A lot of the researching and testing I did was my first
> dive into PHP.

understood... my apologies if it seemed like i was bashing you or otherwise
being ugly or offensive... it was an honest question :)

FWIW: short tags in php are mainly related to using the lead-in "<?" instead of
"<?php"... so they (the "lazy coders") are only saving 3 characters for each php
code start... nothing else is changed...

>      > chcon -R -t httpd_sys_rw_content_t snortreport-1.3.3/
>
>     that command doesn't look right... or is chcon a new command like chown and
>     chmod??
>
> chcon man page entry http://linux.die.net/man/1/chcon
>
> tl; dr: chcon is to change SELinux permissions on a file/directory recursively.
> We're changing permissions on the snortreport-1.3.3 directory to allow the
> apache process the ability to read/write to files in this directory; We're
> telling SELinux that this is expected behavior and to not interfere.

ahh... it is something i am not familiar with and it is specific to SELinux...
not a problem there... when i saw it i thought it might have been a typo so had
to ask ;)

> when does reality end? when does fantasy begin?

that's a hard pair of questions... some might ask "what is reality?" -=B-)