[Snort-users] Email

Greg Williams alphawebfx at ...11827...
Wed Aug 29 18:25:27 EDT 2012

Nick, I use the enterprise version of Splunk for alerting this stuff, plus
a lot of other things, but the older version of free Splunk, ~3.9 I think
allowed for alerting.  The free version of Splunk now doesn't include
alerting unfortunately.  I have unified2 going to BASE and the alert log so
Splunk can read the alert log and based on my searches it alerts me.  You
could also always do a poor man's alerting system by outputting the alerts
to your database and /var/log/snort/alert and grep'ing for your sid every 5
minutes then spit off a sendmail command via a cron job.