[Snort-users] Pulled Pork

Castle, Shane scastle at ...14946...
Tue Aug 28 13:43:25 EDT 2012

Security Onion does this for the systems defined as sensors only, using scp and ssh keys. A short extract from the cron job that is run:

        echo "Copying rules from $SERVERNAME."
        scp -i "$KEY" $SSH_USERNAME@$SERVERNAME:$RULES/downloaded.rules $RULES/downloaded.rules
        scp -i "$KEY" $SSH_USERNAME@$SERVERNAME:$RULES/local.rules $RULES/local.rules
        scp -i "$KEY" $SSH_USERNAME@$SERVERNAME:$RULES/so_rules.rules $RULES/so_rules.rules
        scp -i "$KEY" $SSH_USERNAME@$SERVERNAME:/etc/snort/sid-msg.map /etc/snort/sid-msg.map

I'm sure you can guess how the variables are set.

In this case, the rules are pulled rather than pushed.

If you want to run PP on each system in order to customize for each one what rules are enabled/modified/disabled, you could have the "parent" system put the tarballed rules in an accessible directory, scp them over, then run PP with the '-n' parameter so that it won't download a new set of rules.

--
Shane Castle
Data Security Mgr, Boulder County IT
CISSP GSEC GCIH

-----Original Message-----
From: JJC [mailto:cummingsj at ...11827...]
Sent: Tuesday, August 28, 2012 11:08
To: Nicholas Horton
Cc: snort-users at lists.sourceforge.net
Subject: Re: [Snort-users] Pulled Pork

It's certainly advantageous to do that with something like an RSYNC, assuming that you don't need to customize the tuning and local.rules on each system.  In that case you want to run PP on each system and be able to tune for specific things (OS, Application etc...) in that environment / on that system.

JJC