[Snort-users] snort classification Question

Mike Hale eyeronic.design at ...11827...
Sat Aug 25 17:01:22 EDT 2012

I'm sure those categories were created because, at the time of
creating, they were the best method of classifying alerts on a macro
level.  It's up to you, the rule author, to find one that best suits
your rule.

Generic ICMP events, like Waldo said, should probably be any ICMP
packet that isn't otherwise interesting (an ICMP Type 0 would fall
under this category.  An ICMP type 200 wouldn't as I consider it
'interesting' [see
http://www.iana.org/assignments/icmp-parameters/icmp-parameters.xml]
).

A non-standard protocol is any protocol that isn't standard.  You
could, for example, make an argument that a protocol with a number not
in this list [http://www.iana.org/assignments/protocol-numbers/protocol-numbers.xml]
is non-standard.  It all depends.

On Sat, Aug 25, 2012 at 1:10 PM, waldo kitty <wkitty42 at ...14940...> wrote:
> On 8/25/2012 01:52, mohamad hosein jafari wrote:
>> yes waldo  I said before . Snort  alert classify description is good but I need
>> more information .
>
> ok... let's look...
>
>> for example :
>> one classify is "icmp-event" and this description is : Generic ICMP event " .
>
> ok...
>
>> but I want to know more information  about this for example what kind of ICMP
>> event is in this classify?
>
> to me /ALL/ ICMP events would have this classification...
>
>> Or why this is one classify ? Or for example " non
>> standard procol" or so no .
>
> i'd have to see what might be using this classification to tell more...
>

>> Thanks
>>
>> On Fri, Aug 24, 2012 at 6:48 AM, waldo kitty <wkitty42 at ...14940...
>> <mailto:wkitty42 at ...14940...>> wrote:
>>
>>     On 8/23/2012 01:18, mohamad hosein jafari wrote:
>>
>>         thanks james
>>

>>         yes joel but I said before that I need more information than that
>>         description
>>

>>     what, in those descriptions, is not clear? they are it... really... they are
>>     what all implementers and rule creators have to go by... there is and has
>>     never been anything else ;)
>>
>>     what am i missing? possibly a language barrier?

09 F9 11 02 9D 74 E3 5B D8 41 56 C5 63 56 88 C0