[Snort-users] pcaps for triggering rules

Tony Robinson deusexmachina667 at ...11827...
Fri Aug 24 02:53:03 EDT 2012

There's a number of ways you can go about doing this, Pratik.

1) there are some places on the net that have packet captures of known
malicious content (e.g. think malware traffic, etc.)
such as https://www.openpacket.org/

You would use tcpreplay to play these pcaps back from another system, or
the snort system itself to try and force snort to trigger against the PCAP.

*Tip:* If you want snort to trigger against PCAPs, make sure you use -k
none or disable checksumming in snort.conf.

2) Waldo Kitty is probably thinking of scapy. Scapy is a packet crafting
tool that can be used to modify and create packets of various types. more
info at http://www.secdev.org/projects/scapy/

as far as I remember, scapy is included in backtrack.

3) There is another tool called udpflood that can be used to well, flood
your network with UDP traffic, but what's interesting about this program is
that you can specify a payload as well:

http://www.mcafee.com/us/downloads/free-tools/udpflood.aspx

4) Lastly, there's the overkill approach: build your own virtual network
and use NMAP/Metasploit/Armitage/W3AF and launch exploits against other
virtual machines -- this is how I do my testing. If there's enough interest
in this, I may do a write-up on how I configure my virtual lab for testing
signatures. It's nothing fancy, but if the snort community thinks it would
be beneficial, I would happily contribute it.

Hope this helps you

-Tony/da667

--
when does reality end? when does fantasy begin?