[Snort-users] Snort Installed fine but daemon will not run

Jimmy Ford Jimmy.Ford at ...15764...
Wed Aug 22 15:20:26 EDT 2012

Looks like it's starting and running without quitting now. Before, it would stop and I wouldn't see a PID. I wanted eth1 to be promisc mode, I did ctrl+x or v I don't remember to get out.

Thank you,
Jimmy L Ford

-----Original Message-----
From: Jeremy Hoel [mailto:jthoel at ...11827...]
Sent: Wednesday, August 22, 2012 3:17 PM
To: Jimmy Ford
Cc: Heine Lysemose; snort-users at lists.sourceforge.net
Subject: Re: Snort Installed fine but daemon will not run

When you started snort with the service command, you got a command
prompt back, correct? So you are not breaking/stopping the process to
view the log.

We can see that it starts at Aug 22 12:54:35 (And eth0 goes promisc)
but what happened here at Aug 22 12:54:35 to make eth0 go out of
promisc mode?

As soon as it starts do you see the pid that it lists with the process
in 'ps'? - ie:  snort[6933]  <--  6933 is the pid

Confidentiality Notice:  This e-mail message, including any attachments, is for the sole use of the intended recipient(s) and may contain confidential and privileged information.  Any unauthorized review, use, disclosure or distribution is prohibited.  If you are not the intended recipient, please contact the sender by reply e-mail and original message.