[Snort-users] false positives Mit lincoln laboratory and snort signatures

Joel Esler jesler at ...1935...
Thu Aug 16 18:57:09 EDT 2012

On 9 Aug 2012, at 6:43, Negin Nickparsa wrote:

> hello Dear Snort users
>
> I tested the darpa dataset 1999 with snort,I wrote an algorithm to
> cluster
> alarms and now I need to know which of the alarms are false positives
> so as to update the snort rules manually.this is just my thesis and I
> know
> the snort usually has exact rules.
> I want to look at the attacks of darpa and if snort Identifies an
> attack
> which darpa didn't have it assume the alarm as false positive.
> I couldn't match the signatures of snort with attacks of darpa dataset
>
> would you please tell me how to map the signatures to attacks?
> I mean is there any file in snort which I can find the descriptions?

Do you feel that any of these are false positives?  Doesn't look like it
to me.

Each rule has documentation associated with it, either on Snort.org, or
in the rules themselves (look for "reference".)

--
Joel Esler
Senior Research Engineer, VRT