[Snort-users] Multi-process Snort

Robert Vineyard vineyard at ...15653...
Tue Aug 14 11:56:53 EDT 2012

I've also written some code along these lines including a
Debian/Ubuntu-compatible startup script to handle the startup, shutdown,
restarting, and configuration reloading of multiple snort and barnyard
processes.

I know I've been saying this for quite awhile now, but I will be
releasing this code Real Soon Now and hopefully porting it to work with
RedHat-based distros as well.

There are some tricky bits to getting this setup to work as advertised,
but it does work quite well once it's configured properly. You're on the
right track though - the most important part is to perform a 5-tuple
(src/dst IP, port, and protocol) hash-based load-balancing function on
your monitored traffic, ideally in hardware to minimize CPU overhead.
The goal is for both sides of a given bidirectional conversation to end
up going to the same snort instance for analysis.

PF_RING is a great way to accomplish this, albeit more with
highly-optimized software vs. hardware. The upshot is that it works with
a wide variety of NIC chipsets. Alternative approaches would be
purpose-built packet capture cards from folks like Endace and Napatech,
but those are very expensive and require custom drivers and specialized
libpcap implementations. You could also do the load-balancing externally
using something like a Gigamon or a cPacket device.

Bottom line, in most cases you'll need to one at least one snort process
per physical CPU core, pinned via CPU-affinity to minimize wasting
cycles on context-switching. If you've done your load-balancing right,
everything should just magically work.

Happy sniffing :-)

Cheers,
Robert Vineyard