[Snort-users] Rules and Tuning

Tony Robinson trobinson at ...1935...
Tue Aug 14 11:48:44 EDT 2012

To expand on JJ's answer,

This depends on what ruleset you are utilizing, Steve, but at least for the
VRT ruleset, there are multiple ways for you to obtain more information for
a given rule. If you have the sid number/message, the actual rule (or rule
stub in the case of SO rules) will usually have metadata associated with
the rule -- MS vulnerability IDs, CVE numbers, as well as links to websites
with more information (e.g. links to bugtraq or MS technet, virustotal,
etc.)

If you don't want to dig in the .rules files, then, at least for VRT rules,
snort.org has a rule search page, that, given a SID, can give you more
information on a given rule
www.snort.org/search

additionally, the downloads page has a file, opensource.gz that has rule
documentation available as well.

Hope this helps,

Tony

--