[Snort-users] problem with using snort to log in MS SQL server on another machine

Michael Steele michaels at ...9077...
Tue Aug 14 08:40:36 EDT 2012

It's going to require at least ODBC to be included into Barnyard2 to talk to
MSSQL. The last version of Snort that talked directly to a database was
2.9.2.3. There were rumors that the Barnyard2 team was working on including
ODBC in a future version.

Kindest regards,
Michael...

-----Original Message-----
From: waldo kitty [mailto:wkitty42 at ...14940...]
Sent: Monday, August 13, 2012 10:22 PM
To: Asieh Mokarian
Cc: snort-users at lists.sourceforge.net
Subject: Re: [Snort-users] problem with using snort to log in MS SQL server
on another machine

On 8/9/2012 08:20, Asieh Mokarian wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I want to compile an instance of snort on a linux based system, but I
> want to compile it to log packets on a MS-SQL server on a remote
> machine which is

i suspect that you cannot do this any more... direct logging to databases
has been (or will be) removed... the apparent way to do this now is to feed
snort's output to barnyard2... AFAICT, the biggest and main achievement of
this change is to enable snort to operate more on the goal of sniffing the
traffic while not loosing any (or as much) and snort not having to deal with
talking to some database server that may or may not be online or fast enough
to accept everything that snort may be outputting...