[Snort-users] problem with using snort to log in MS SQL server on another machine

waldo kitty wkitty42 at ...14940...
Mon Aug 13 22:21:53 EDT 2012

On 8/9/2012 08:20, Asieh Mokarian wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I want to compile an instance of snort on a linux based system, but I want to
> compile it to log packets on a MS-SQL server on a remote machine which is

i suspect that you cannot do this any more... direct logging to databases has
been (or will be) removed... the apparent way to do this now is to feed snort's
output to barnyard2... AFAICT, the biggest and main achievement of this change
is to enable snort to operate more on the goal of sniffing the traffic while not
loosing any (or as much) and snort not having to deal with talking to some
database server that may or may not be online or fast enough to accept
everything that snort may be outputting...