[Snort-users] Automated File Carving?

Marcos Rodriguez marcos.e.rodriguez at ...11827...
Wed Aug 8 15:48:22 EDT 2012

On Wed, Aug 8, 2012 at 3:19 PM, Tim Covel <tcovel at ...15149...> wrote:

>  We've recently released a modified version of the ntop (GPL) which
> includes a file carving system designed to work with snort.
>
> We've put together some screenshots of it here:
> http://metaflows.tumblr.com/post/28491256039/file-extraction-malware
>
> http://metaflows.tumblr.com/post/28128365399/quick-investigation-of-a-bothunter-alert-on-an
>
> If you'd like more information on how to get and run it, let us know.
>
> On 08/08/2012 11:13 AM, Jefferson, Shawn wrote:
>
>  Hi,
>
> Not specifically Snort related, but I thought this might be a good place
> to ask first.
>
> I have Snort IDS sensors, with full packet capture (OpenFPC), and Stream
> capture (StreamDB), and one-click access to these via customized BASE.  One
> extra thing I find myself wanting is automated file carving… sometimes I
> want to see the actual file downloaded (be it a PDF, or executable).  I
> would prefer to have a one-click access to this, so I was wondering if
> there is anything that automatically will carve files out and store them
> for easy retrieval?  BroIDS maybe?
>

> hi Shawn, et al,

I'm not sure, but I thought (I'm a bit befuddled, so beware when I
think!!!!)  that Snort could do this in conjunction with Razorback.  I
could be way off base.  Bro includes file-extract.bro scripts for FTP and
HTTP.  Suricata can currently support extracting files over HTTP.  It's
probably the easiest method to try out, you could get it running in about
half an hour from scratch.  Suri's file extraction is a quick "yes" field
in the yaml file, and a rule keyword called filestore.

We're using this in our testing on a large network, and are reliably
extracting executables.  One minor annoyance is the incremental naming of
the extracted files as file.1, etc.  Each extracted file is accompanied by
a meta file that contains the file name, source, dest, and all that jazz.

Hope this helps!

marcos