[Snort-users] PCRE and cross packet matching

vpiserchia at ...11827... vpiserchia at ...11827...
Mon Aug 6 07:34:48 EDT 2012

Hello Patrick, Tony

Thank you for your exhaustive answers.

Before all I have to say that the first experiments were made with the
PFRING DAQ
module and I can confirm that in this case the PCRE signature is not
able to match a cross packet content.

The way I launched snort is like this:

snort --pid-path /root/snort/ -D \
        -c /etc/snort/snort.conf -i eth1,eth2 \
        -l /root/snort/ -A fast \
        --daq-dir /opt/daq/lib/daq --daq pfring --daq-mode passive

Today I made more tests and changed a bit the setup of my experiments,
that is now I use the "standard" PCAP DAQ module
in this way:

snort --pid-path /root/snort/ -D \
        -c /etc/snort/snort.conf -i eth1,eth2 \
        -l /root/snort/ -A fast \
        --daq-dir /opt/daq/lib/daq --daq pcap --daq-mode passive

with this setup the PCRE signature now works well and alert as expected

So my new question for the list is:
has anyone already experienced this behaviour with the pfring daq module
and pcre signatures?

best regards
vito