[Snort-users] PCRE and cross packet matching

Tony Robinson trobinson at ...1935...
Fri Aug 3 11:58:24 EDT 2012

Just to further explain Patrick's message,

While it isn't explicitly spelled out, Patrick is more or less referring to
frag3 and stream 5. If you utilize ip defragmentation, and stream
reassembly, we have an entire TCP stream that the rule can work against. If
frag3/s5 are not being used to defragment/reassemble packets and TCP
segments, you will only have individual packets to work with.

A good, general rule of thumb for using PCRE in this instance is to have
some sort of a content match prior to using PCRE so snort knows where in
the packet or stream to use the PCRE engine to shred through the data from
that point onward, so you don't run into the problem of snort giving up on
a PCRE match.

hope this helps,

-Tony

--