[Snort-users] New Rules for Snort 2.6.1.5!!

Nick Moore nmoore at ...1935...
Sat Jun 11 09:43:52 EDT 2011

Nima,

Are you sure you cannot update your Linux version? Ubuntu, for example, has
automated processes to assist with the update.

If it is that old, you probably would be better off starting from scratch
using one of the set up guides on snort.org. I have been able to create a
new Snort build in a couple hours including installation of the operating
system. You could also download a pre-built Snort instance from easyids or
snorby.org. It may be faster than trying to maintain an old Linux build and
an unsupported version of Snort.

Nick

On Sat, Jun 11, 2011 at 8:17 AM, nima chavooshi <nima0102 at ...11827...> wrote:

> Hi
> Thanks a lot for your quick reply.
> Unfortunately in our case, the linux version is very old:( so I can
> not updated to latest snort.
> Ok. How can I get latest shared object rules that has been released
> for version 2.6.1.5 ? I could not find old share obejct.
>
> Thanks for your reply
>

> On Sat, Jun 11, 2011 at 5:34 PM, Joel Esler <jesler at ...1935...> wrote:
> > We no longer produce shared object rules for this version. However, most
> of the plaintext rules should still work. I would suggest downloading the
> 2.8.6.1 version of the rules and giving those a shot.
> >
> > But to be up to date, I would suggest upgrading Snort to 2.9.0.5.
> >
> > --
> > Sent from my iPad
> > Please excuse the brevity
> >
> > On Jun 11, 2011, at 8:40 AM, nima chavooshi <nima0102 at ...11827...> wrote:
> >
> >> Hi
> >> In our new project I have to update rules of snort. But unfortunately
> >> our version of snort is 2.6.1.5, is it possible that I get latest
> >> rules for this version? or Is there updated rules for old version?
> >>
> >> Thanks in advance
> >>
> >> --
> >> N.Chavoshi

> >> Please see http://www.snort.org/docs for documentation
> >

> --
> N.Chavoshi

> Please see http://www.snort.org/docs for documentation

--
Nick Moore, SFCE, CISSP, CISA
Sr. Systems Engineer

    ,,_
   o"  )~   Sourcefire - The Creators of Snort
    ''''

www.sourcefire.com         www.snort.org