[Snort-users] Snorby opinions

Dustin Webber dustin.webber at ...11827...
Mon Jun 6 15:13:15 EDT 2011

Randy,

| | But PHP still kings with options and available classes (Zend rocks).

Not 100% sure what this means but if you type rails, node and even django
into github.com you will be flooded with more plugins, engines and libraries
then you can handle in a lifetime (also I would argue that this is a bad
thing).

- PHP was created from a bunch of perl scripts and hacked into a language
from a poorly written framework. (not my words.. the creator of phps..
google it)
- It has no object model.
- It's known around the world as the most vulnerably language/project to
ever be released publicly.
- Inheritance is php -- It just copies the code into memory and
basically pastes
it into a 'class' (I find it hard to call them classes because is CS a php
class is more of a module).
- PHP didn't even support encoding until like last year man.
- There are no evented frameworks for PHP.. good luck writing a nonblocking
server or web application.
- There is no good ORMS for php.. people still even write SQL inline ..
srsly??
- There is no good MVC frameworks.. please don't say cakephp or
coreigniter.. wow.. huge fails.
- There are no such thing as closures in php.. forget about keeping your
code dry or writing custom api/dsls.

etc.. etc..

-
http://www.codedifferent.com/2008/04/02/ruby-on-rails-or-zend-framework-%E2%80%93-deciding-now/

read the first comment from the creator of your Zend framework.. hes 100%
correct.. php was not designed properly.. its just the truth.. its like
using a gocart someone modified to be drivable on the highway. There is just
so much more polished software out there man - You don't see many people
building websites with vbscript right? you could.. totally.. buy why not?

anyways .. we got way off topic here.. not the best place for language wars
but there are a bunch of articles on php design flaws and go way more in
depth.. check it out.

Dustin W. Webber
Dustin.Webber at ...11827...