[Snort-users] Unified Logging - BASE - Portscans

Michael Steele michaels at ...9077...
Wed Jul 27 07:48:29 EDT 2011

James,

Out of curiosity I matched the same two alerts in each BASE console. Unified
logging seems not to be inserting data into the database like it does with
the output database.

This could be a direct result of the script I'm using as it's still in
development.

Picture of alert from Unified2 logging:
http://www.winsnort.com/data/unified.gif

Picture of alert from Output Database logging:
http://www.winsnort.com/data/output.gif

Kindest regards,
Michael...

-----Original Message-----
From: Michael Steele [mailto:michaels at ...9077...]
Sent: Tuesday, July 26, 2011 11:38 PM
To: 'James Lay'; 'Snort'
Subject: Re: [Snort-users] Unified Logging - BASE - Portscans

Here is an example of the same alert pulled from each portscan.log file.

Output Database portscan.log entry:
--------------------\
Time: 07/26-23:08:45.356955
event_id: 1797
10.0.0.3 -> 120.28.64.74 (portscan) TCP Portsweep Priority Count: 5
Connection Count: 12 IP Count: 10 Scanned IP Range:
99.154.244.83:180.149.12.86 Port/Proto Count: 10 Port/Proto Range:
12293:59346 --------------------/

Using Unified2 portscan.log entry:
--------------------\
Time: 07/26-23:08:45.371463
event_id: 1802
10.0.0.3 -> 120.28.64.74 (portscan) TCP Portsweep Priority Count: 5
Connection Count: 12 IP Count: 10 Scanned IP Range:
99.154.244.83:180.149.12.86 Port/Proto Count: 10 Port/Proto Range:

The portscan.log files look almost identical except for the 'Time:' and
'event id:' tags. It's really strange that one is processing and the other
is not.

Hopefully someone that understands how BASE processes the portscans will
chime in here and make some sense of this?

Kindest regards,
Michael...