[Snort-users] Reload Snort to use new ruleset

Castle, Shane scastle at ...14946...
Tue Jul 26 16:44:44 EDT 2011

The command "kill -SIGHUP <pid>" has not worked for some time with Snort IIRC (nor pkill, which I had been using before) and the suggested init.d entry for controlling snort does not use it, either, but rather stop and start:

    restart|reload)
        $0 stop
        $0 start

I suspect the doc needs updating.

Add in using barnyard2 and things get more interesting. Here is my current cron script that uses oinkmaster (no pulledpork suggestions please):

#!/bin/bash
cd /etc/snort
/sbin/service barnyard2 stop

./oinkmaster.pl -o ./rules -b ./backup -C ./bleeding-oink.conf -C ./oinkmaster.conf >oink.out 2>&1

./create-sidmap.pl rules >sid-msg.map
/sbin/service snort restart
/sbin/service barnyard2 start

--