[Snort-users] Snort 2.9.1 RC Now Available
snortreleases at ...950...
Tue Jul 19 11:14:28 EDT 2011
Snort 2.9.1 RC is now available on snort.org, at
http://www.snort.org/snort-downloads/ in the Latest Development
2.9.0 RC & later packages are signed with a new PGP key
(that is signed with the previous key).
NOTE: Snort 2.9.1 requires pkg-config be installed for some
of its autoconf processing. See details below.
Snort 2.9.1 introduces the following new capabilities:
* Protocol aware reassembly support for HTTP and DCE/RPC
preprocessors. Updates to Stream5 allowing Snort to more
intelligently inspect HTTP and DCE/RPC requests and responses.
See README.stream5 subsection related to Protocol Aware Flushing
* SIP preprocessor to identify SIP call channels and provide
rule access via new rule option keywords. Also includes new
preprocessor rules for anomalies in the SIP communications.
See the Snort Manual and README.sip for details.
* POP3 & IMAP preprocessors to decode email attachments in
Base64, Quoted Printable, and uuencode formats, and updates
to SMTP preprocessor for decoding email attachments encoded
as Quoted Printable and uuencode formats. See the Snort
Manual, README.pop, README.imap, and README.SMTP for details.
* Support for reading large pcap files.
* Logging of HTTP URL (host and filename), SMTP attachment
filenames and email recipients to unified2 when Snort generates
events on related traffic.
* IP Reputation preprocessor, allowing Snort to blacklist or
whitelist packets based on their IP addresses. This preprocessor
is still in an experimental state, so please report any issues
to the Snort team. See README.reputation for more information.
Additionally, the following updates and improvements have been made:
* Updates to give shared library rules direct access to gzip
* Rule Option Improvements:
- Updates to content modifier http_cookie to not include
the HTTP header names themselves in the buffer. This change
may affect existing rules that leverage this keyword.
- Updates to the file_data and base64_data rule option keywords
and added a pkt_data rule option keyword that sets the buffer
to be used for subsequent content/pcre/etc rule options.
- Updates to the tcp flag rule option keyword to support 'C'
and 'E' for CWR and ECN bits.
- Updates to byte_extract rule option keyword to support
the same string formats as with byte_test and byte_jump.
* Updates to Snort's build infrastructure and autoconf script
for portability and improved checks for library dependencies.
To facilitate easier building of Snort on many of the different
platforms supported, Snort now uses pkg-config to check for
certain library locations. Obtain pkg-config from freedesktop.org.
* Many updates and improvements to the Snort documentation. Special
thanks to all of the contributors from the Snort community for
working with us and making the documentation more accurate and
* Updates to the sensitive data preprocessor for handling HTTP
traffic and reducing false positives.
* Updates to Snort's config parsing to provide more meaningful
error messages relating to snort.conf errors and configuration
display at startup.
* Updates to Snort's active response packets whether via response
keyword or part of inline normalization.
* Improvements to HTTP Inspect processing of chunked HTTP data.
Additional HTTP Inspect alerts for evasion attempts such as small
chunks and excessive whitespace in folded headers.
* Updates to the statistics Snort prints to console or syslog
at exit for different preproessors.
Please see the Release Notes and ChangeLog for more details.
Please submit bugs, questions, and feedback to snort-beta at ...3990...
The Snort Release Team
More information about the Snort-users