[Snort-users] Installing Snort

Damien Hull dhull at ...15333...
Fri Jul 8 15:09:07 EDT 2011

I compiled snort for Ubuntu 10.04 following the instructions on the
snort website. I installed the snort rules. Snort and barnyard2 start.
There are snort files in /var/log/snort. However, there's nothing in
the log files. The database doesn't contain any info.

I did a port scan of the system. I'm assuming snort should pick that
up. Again, nothing in the log files or in the database. I'm using
snort report just like the documentation says.

Can someone point me in some kind of direction? I must be missing something.