[Snort-users] Snort rules maximum rules per file

Hussein Bahaidarah husseinb at ...11827...
Fri Jul 1 14:12:11 EDT 2011

Hello,

no warning was displayed.
All rules are simple and of the following format:
alert tcp any any -> any 80 ( content:"URL"; react:; sid:1; )
The content is changed on every rule which is basically a URL and the SID is incremented from 1 to 942099
My system has 4GB memory. Before using snort 600MB is used and after snort full memory is utilized. That is on 2.9.0.5. Now, I have switched to Version 2.9.1_beta as the "react" option was not firing on multiple rules.

I am testing snort with IXIA; but the result are not good as it seems that I am not configuring Snort in the right way. I need to achieve blocking for a big number of URL's with snort. Do you have any recommendations in this regards to tweak and optimize snort performance.

Thanks,