[Snort-users] Sensitive Data Preprocessor: logging single matches

Victor Roemer vroemer at ...1935...
Fri Feb 25 20:59:54 EST 2011

I think I can clear this up for you.

preprocessor sensitive_data: alert_threshold 25

This configuration dictates that after 25 occurrences of ANY combination of
sdf rules are hit in a given session will cause  SDF_COMBO_ALERT (139:1) to
be triggered.

Now, regardless of whatever alert_threshold is set to in the preprocessor,
your gid:138 rules would still alert based on they're settings.

-- snipped from snort manual --

sd_pattern <count>, <pattern>;

count

This dictates how many times a PII pattern must be matched for an alert to
be generated. The count is
tracked across all packets in a session.

-- /snip --

Now, for the specific PII rule your interested in (Credit Cards) the default
value of count is set to 2 meaning after 2 occurrences of the rule being hit
(in a given session) you'll receive an alert.

So if you wanted to alert after only seeing 1 credit card number you would
change this count to 1.

Hope this clears things up!