[Snort-users] Heap Spray String Floods

Kevin Ross kevross33 at ...14012...
Wed Feb 23 07:57:44 EST 2011

As Matt said it looks like you are alerting from BASE. You could access BASE
over HTTPS so snort does not alert on the generated web traffic as I assume
this is for learning/testing. If it is production then make HOME_NET your
internal net in snort.conf and EXTERNAL_NET !HOME_NET so it treats all
non-defined home net traffic as external. This is needed for accuracy and
performance. You could also look into a physical machine with one interface
purely for capture with no IP and settings set for for optimised capture and
then have the other for management with an IP but snort does not listen to
that interface.

As far as the rules are concerned they should be really accurate due to the
specific nature of the string. However I have found that the 0c0c0c0c one
without any % or %u has several false positives on my work network with PNG
images though not sure if that FP is common. All the rest seem fine and
worth investigation.