[Snort-users] Intermittent Pulled Pork Error

Nigel Houghton nhoughton at ...1935...
Wed Feb 16 13:37:39 EST 2011

On Wed, 16 Feb 2011 13:32:45 -0500, Nigel Houghton wrote:
> On Wed, 16 Feb 2011 13:05:09 -0500, Weir, Jason wrote:
>> Doesn't happen all of the time...
>>
>> Error 500 when fetching
>> https://www.snort.org/reg-rules/snortrules-snapshot-2904.tar.gz.md5 at
>> /usr/local/bin/pulledpork.pl line 390
>>
>> -J
>
> That's not a PulledPork error, that's a website error. The file isn't
> there, which strictly speaking shouldn't be a 500 server error, but
> since the application that handles looking for the file can't find it,
> the server will return the application error instead of a 404 not found.
>
> With that said, I'll forward this to our Snort web team for
> investigation.

Actually, no I won't. After looking at snort.org I see that the 2.9.0.4
rule set is not yet available for registered users. So, you'll get a
404 (or 500) for the rules file too.

You can fix this for future use by using
snortrules-snapshot-edge.tar.gz as the name of your rules file. That
way, you will get the latest version of rules for either registered or
subscriber rules automatically. Right now, for registered users this
will be a 2.9.0.3 rule set. Which should work with 2.9.0.4.

Now, per the rules of the drinking game, I will be taking a shot or two
for replying to my own email.

--
Nigel Houghton
Head Mentalist