[Snort-users] run snort on dual core intel atom cpus?

Joel Esler jesler at ...1935...
Tue Feb 15 08:10:32 EST 2011

The RAM is going to be your limitation.  You are going to want more RAM than that depending on how much traffic you are trying to process/rules you are going to run/configuration/network traffic.

There are many different scenarios where Snort will run well, or poorly.

I am not sure about the Atom processor though, I don't think I've ever seen Snort installed on a box with an Atom processor (I don't think), so the performance is unknown.

As far as being Dual core, it doesn't matter.  Snort isn't "multithreaded", it has pthreads for certain tasks, but people in the Snort community don't generally think of Snort as "multithreaded" for tasks.  That being said, it's a good idea to 'pin' Snort to a processor that is idle.

For instance if your box boots, and everything is running on one core, then run Snort on the other core. etc.

--
Joel Esler
jesler () sourcefire.com