[Snort-users] [Emerging-Sigs] Reliability of signatures

Matthew Jonkman jonkman at ...15020...
Thu Feb 10 10:17:23 EST 2011

I agree with Matt here completely, (see previous thread about the greatness of Matts).

But we both have the point of view of signature writers, whereas an analyst/incident responder in the field has a very different idea of an FP.

So, just like there are 2 philosophies in how to tune a ruleset (i.e. only fire on compromises vs I want to know who's making attempts and block), I think we have to just accept that there are many definitions of a false positive, and they're all valid.

And thus a "Report this as an FP" button is wildly complicated....

Matt

On Feb 10, 2011, at 10:04 AM, Matt Olney wrote:

> And I would argue that "no iis" here isn't a valid FP.  The signature performed correctly and notified you that a scan attempt was under way.  It is up to the system admin to correctly suppress/disable/modify rules that do not target his network.  In our view, a FP only occurs when network traffic triggers an alert that is specifically NOT traffic that the rule was intended to fire on.  The rules are application/server agnostic (some wiggle room in this comment both currently and in the future) they are solely based on the traffic on the wire.
>
> On Thu, Feb 10, 2011 at 10:00 AM, Michael Scheidell <michael.scheidell at ...846....8144...> wrote:
>

> On 2/10/11 9:55 AM, Matt Olney wrote:
>>
>>  Also, SPAM isn't an IDS issue, at
> ah, maybe I should have explained.  you missed the point.
>
> there needs to be a definition of FP vs MP for signatures for any of this to mean anything.
> one mans SPAM is another mans HAM,  one mans FP is another mans legit hit.
> would you BLOCK on FP #2? maybe not inline, but I sure would blacklist the ip.
>
> maybe in the 'human verified checkbox' you give them the ability to mark:
>
> [ ] FP:  signature too broad. matched legit traffic
> [ ] FP:  no IIS servers here,
>
> (just so we have something for them to check)
>

> --
> Michael Scheidell, CTO
> o: 561-999-5000
> d: 561-948-2259
> ISN: 1259*1300
> > | SECNAP Network Security Corporation
> Certified SNORT Integrator
> 2008-9 Hot Company Award Winner, World Executive Alliance
> Five-Star Partner Program 2009, VARBusiness
> Best in Email Security,2010: Network Products Guide
> King of Spam Filters, SC Magazine 2008
>
> This email has been scanned and certified safe by SpammerTrap®.
> For Information please see http://www.secnap.com/products/spammertrap/

Matthew Jonkman
Emergingthreats.net
Emerging Threats Pro