[Snort-users] [Emerging-Sigs] Reliability of signatures

Michael Scheidell michael.scheidell at ...8144...
Thu Feb 10 10:07:18 EST 2011

On 2/10/11 10:04 AM, Matt Olney wrote:
> And I would argue that "no iis" here isn't a valid FP.  The signature
> performed correctly and notified you that a scan attempt was under
> way.  It is up to the system admin to correctly
> suppress/disable/modify rules that do not target his network.  In our
> view, a FP only occurs when network traffic triggers an alert that is
> specifically NOT traffic that the rule was intended to fire on.  The
> rules are application/server agnostic (some wiggle room in this
> comment both currently and in the future) they are solely based on the
> traffic on the wire.
and, again, the point being, you need to allow idiots to mark it a fp in
a way that will not affect reliability stats.
been doing this for 5 years with email, I really do know it matters.
lusers are idiots.  management won't allow bofh's anymore, so, you allow
them to click a useless button.
--
Michael Scheidell, CTO
o: 561-999-5000
 >*| *SECNAP Network Security Corporation

    * Certified SNORT Integrator
    * Best in Email Security,2010: Network Products Guide
    * King of Spam Filters, SC Magazine 2008