[Snort-users] [Emerging-Sigs] Reliability of signatures

Crusty Saint saintcrusty at ...11827...
Thu Feb 10 10:06:47 EST 2011

somehow this makes me wonder if human-readable rules are ( yes or no ) a
strategical or tactical advantage, though as an admin it definitely is an
advantage

2011/2/10 Michael Scheidell <michael.scheidell at ...8144...>

>  On 2/10/11 8:30 AM, Michael Stone wrote:
>
> Well, even that distincion isn't so clear. Does "what it's supposed to
> be looking for" mean "the string the signature was written against" or
> "the malware the signature was written against"?
>

>  if someone is scanning my LAMP network for IIS6 holes, are those FP's?
> btw, when on the icsa labs anti-spam initial steering group, all the
> vendors argues about was a SPAM and HAM was.
> that was the largest, longest and noisiest and most contentious issue.
>
> what is a spam?
> a) from email admin perspective:
> b) from user perspective.
>
> from a user, its 'something I didn't want, even if I signed up for it'
>
> ham? something I wanted, even if I didn't sign up for it.
>
> needed to come to an agreement, since part of the icsa labs certification
> was > 95% spam capture, and less then 1 in 100,000 FP's.
>
> so, if brother in law on aol gets a joke fwd to him, that has been around
> 100 times, and sends it to user, and the (business tuned) anti-spam engine
> blocks it, is that a FP?
>

> --
> Michael Scheidell, CTO
> o: 561-999-5000
> d: 561-948-2259
> ISN: 1259*1300
> > *| *SECNAP Network Security Corporation
>
>    - Certified SNORT Integrator
>    - 2008-9 Hot Company Award Winner, World Executive Alliance
>    - Five-Star Partner Program 2009, VARBusiness
>    - Best in Email Security,2010: Network Products Guide
>    - King of Spam Filters, SC Magazine 2008

> This email has been scanned and certified safe by SpammerTrap®.
> For Information please see http://www.secnap.com/products/spammertrap/

- - -
Security Engineer - Tags: Analyst Systems Security Linux Firewall Network
Web Troubleshooting - If you think I deserve a rant, write me off-list