[Snort-users] Reliability of signatures

Martin Holste mcholste at ...11827...
Fri Feb 4 13:45:15 EST 2011

> Personally, I'd like to know what
> the most important (as measured, perhaps, as the most hits)

Ok, hang on--I'd actually say that you can get a pretty good idea of
the most important signatures by sorting them in ascending order by
hits.  The higher the number of hits, the greater probability that
each hit is an FP and the signature isn't helpful.  Important caveats
would be for the sigs that aren't alerting on "bad" traffic, but
traffic that is usually good unless it's from a certain IP address
(JAR files, exe files, etc.) or SCAN signatures.  That nuance actually
makes this kind of hard to do in a helpful way.

It's for this reason that I want the manual submissions, not based on logs.