[Snort-users] Reliability of signatures

Fri Feb 4 11:38:04 EST 2011

Maybe I'm missing something here that everyone else sees, but I don't
see how this could produce any form of reliable data.

1) Isn't accuracy of rules in part reliant on how well the sensor is tuned?

2) Isn't the determination of a legit hit vs. FP partially dependent
on the analysis skill?

3) GID:SID wouldn't be enough. You have to use GID:SID:REV since rev
bumps are often done to fix FP issues.

4) Wouldn't an open submission process/tool be vulnerable to malicious
bad data submissions?

Thx,
Wally