[Snort-users] Reliability of signatures

Martin Holste mcholste at ...11827...
Fri Feb 4 10:51:52 EST 2011

>> I like that idea too.  It'd make a lot of sense to integrate it into
>> snort.org - in fact there's probably a lot of data about Snort
>> detection performance, config options and rule quality we could put up
>> there.  Communication favors the defender...

Thanks, Marty.  I'm all for free resources, but that would make this
project vendor-sponsored, which makes my spider senses tingle...  I'd
feel better if a non-profit hosted, or at least a company that doesn't
sell signatures.  Otherwise, it'd be like Starbucks sponsoring a
coffee rating site.  Up-vote for Trenta!

> I would think it would need to have some kind of automatic reporting method,
> perhaps with manual commenting?

What do you mean by automatic?  I'd think we'd want this to remain
manual, but as integrated into the analysis process as possible via
whatever GUI you're using.  For SF products, a button built into the
GUI, and maybe something to click on in Snorby, et al.?  And, of
course, there would need to be the manual vote page on the site.  A
basic JSON API to receive submissions would do fine on the web side.

Actually, I could probably code this up this weekend if someone
volunteers a neutral hosting space.  Will Jeff Atwood sue if we use
snortoverflow.com?