[Snort-users] snort inline (non-drop mode) br0

Lawrence R. Hughes, Sr. lhughes at ...14822...
Tue Feb 1 15:42:56 EST 2011

Joel,

Sorry If I did not provide the info you need.here it is: snort 2.8.6.1

 We are experiencing a large percentage of dropped packet. dropped packets start very low, but on the increase all the time exceeding 70%. please see attached startup and  perf. monitor report

2.       We see a large number of open sessions  without any reduction.  see attached perf. monitor  and attached config file

3.       Only 7 rule groups are applied

4.       We have disabled many preprocessors and so rules in an attempt to debug the dropped packet problem??

5.       We do not detect duplicate traffic, snort is running on BR0 which is made of eth0 and eth1.

6.       Snort is not on a network tap.running inline without blocking.

7.       We are detecting alerts which are valid alerts.

8.       Machine is duel core, 16GB memory @1333Ghz, fSB 1333Ghz, nic on PCI 2.0 5GBs, Raid SAS 15000RPM

The issue is the dropped packets...i hope the attached files provide you with enough info to be able to help

 Thanks,

Larry