[Snort-users] Snort daq / nfq / "content: " not working...

Jesko Mägle jesko at ...15482...
Fri Dec 30 05:08:40 EST 2011

Hi,

first of all, I want to say "Hi" to this great group. I was reading a
lot of posts, and got a lot of good ideas from it... Thanks :)

But now I have a problem I can't solve on my own, maybe someone has an idea?

I'm testing snort on a gentoo-machine. snort 2.9.1 to be exact. After a
lot of reading and some eye-openers concerning daq I'm stuck with the
following problem:

I have a rule "drop tcp any any <> any any ( msg:"Works";
sid:10000009;rev:1;)" - this rule works - just everything is dropped...
Fine.
In the next step i added "content: www.youtube.com"; to it - and - it
doesn't work.

I use the default snort.conf from the vrt-team, i tried the
gentoo-snort.conf - experimented with the http_inspect preprocessor (
read something that this might be the issue... ) - but - im stuck.

Any ideas where I can look, what I can do?

Greeting,
Jesko

--
JESKO MÄGLE