[Snort-users] lex is insufficient? (daq 0.6.2)

Michael Altizer maltizer at ...1935...
Fri Dec 16 10:08:10 EST 2011

On 12/16/2011 09:36 AM, tgiles at ...14981... wrote:
>> tom
>> Check the bit that should be right above it in config.log to see what
>> it's failing to do when checking for flex and bison.
> Hi, Michael.
>
> Nothing actionable I noticed. I've put the full config.log on pastebin here: http://pastebin.com/uEJtuZFc but here are the immediate 5 or so lines before the error.
>
> The only other error I noted in the config.log was for "conftest.c:11:28: error: ac_nonexistent.h: No such file or directory". But, since the name of the file is "nonexistent", I ignored the message.
>
> Thanks for any input you might have!
>
> tom
>
> configure:11322: gcc -c -g -O2 -fvisibility=hidden -Wall -Wwrite-strings -Wsign-compare -Wcast-align -Wextra -Wformat -Wformat-security -Wno-unused-parameter -fno-strict-aliasing -fdiagnostics-show-option -pedantic -Werror  -pedantic -std=c99 -D_GNU_SOURCE  conftest.c>&5
> configure:11322: $? = 0
> configure:11337: result: -pedantic -std=c99 -D_GNU_SOURCE
> configure:11350: : CFLAGS="$CFLAGS $var"
> configure:11353: $? = 0
> configure:11372: checking for getaddrinfo
> configure:11372: gcc -o conftest -g -O2 -fvisibility=hidden -Wall -Wwrite-strings -Wsign-compare -Wcast-align -Wextra -Wformat -Wformat-security -Wno-unused-parameter -fno-strict-aliasing -fdiagnostics-show-option -pedantic -std=c99 -D_GNU_SOURCE   conftest.c>&5
> configure:11372: $? = 0
> configure:11372: result: yes
> configure:11538: checking for capable lex
> configure:11549: result: insufficient
> configure:11552: error: Your operating system's lex is insufficient to compile
>           libsfbpf. You should install both bison and flex.
>           flex is a lex replacement that has many advantages,
>           including being able to compile libsfbpf.  For more
>           information, see http://www.gnu.org/software/flex/flex.html .
>
> ## ---------------- ##
> ## Cache variables. ##

Sorry, the test redirects its output to /dev/null when testing lex, but
I'm guessing you don't even have lex installed.  Please post the
config.log when you run it without the --without-flex and
--without-bison flags.  You should only see the above error if it could
not find both flex and bison on your system, in which case it resorts to
lex/yacc and does the test you see above (which is actually never going
to succeed and needs to be fixed; I guess you're the first person so far
to not use flex/bison).  You can check AC_LBL_LEX_AND_YACC in m4/sf.m4
to see what it is doing to check for the existence of flex/bison.