[Snort-users] Need help to detect BOTNET-CNC Palevo bot DNS attack

Kevin Ross kevross33 at ...14012...
Mon Dec 12 09:01:54 EST 2011

What this sig is catching is queries for a known malicious command and
control domain name. What you need to do is enable logging on your local
DNS server and then search for the domain specific in the signature in
those logs when you get hits to determine who is making them. You could
also redirect the domain to another IP on your network and log who attempts
to connect to that.

Also if your firewall/ips lets you upload your own snort signatures then I
would look at the emergingthreats.net rules in emerging-trojan,
emerging-malware etc for any Palevo sigs (I would recommend running
emergingthreats rules for the additional detection anyway).

The domain you want to look for is butterfly.sinip.es

Regards,
Kevin Ross