[Snort-users] Need help to detect BOTNET-CNC Palevo bot DNS attack

babu dheen babudheen at ...5176...
Sun Dec 11 11:53:06 EST 2011

Dear James,

 Thanks for your response. Actually i have two query on your update.

1. You mentioned that since data content contains malicious code, this siganture fires, but i would like to update you that when this signature fires, source and destination IP showing DNS servers only (not infected client IP). Do you mean that when infected client makes DNS query to CNC botnet URL, DNS query itself contain malicious content?

2. If you consider any small company network, all internal machines would be pointed to company internal DNS server and internal DNS server will be pointed to ISP DNS server.
   So if this signature fires, will we never see true client IP address in any network?

3. Sorry, i am not familiar with snort signatures and hence i am not able to understand your query.

 I will be happy if you can provide more details on this.

Regards
Babu