[Snort-users] [Snort-sigs] Snort 2.8.6.1 EOL Reminder

L0rd Ch0de1m0rt l0rdch0de1m0rt at ...11827...
Thu Dec 1 16:50:17 EST 2011

Shawn, this is a good question.

Simply put, the VRT ruleset is geared more toward exploits and ET is
geared more toward malware and, obviously, emerging threats.  That
said, there is a lot of overlap.  My understanding is that a lot of
effort went in to the ET ruleset (open and pro) before the ET Pro
launch and some of that was adding rules so the ET ruleset covered a
lot of what VRT covered as well. I could be wrong about that (I'm not
officially affiliated with VRT or Emerging Threats by the way).

The ET Pro ruleset does have coverage for stuff like the monthly
Microsoft vulnerabilities and more.  I believe they have access to the
MS patch pre-release data MS gives to security companies (this is one
reason why ET Pro requires a NDA I believe).  This, along with the
support, active development, and QA is why ET Pro is not free.
Speaking of NDA, there is one of those but the rules are still all
text based which is nice because you can get a better idea of why a
rule fired, unlike some VRT GID3 rules that are closed source.  I
guess ET just expects you to abide by the NDA and they only do
business with legit companies.

Personally, I stopped updating the VRT rules a while back.  The rules
were not very efficient or timely enough for me.  I still run a few
older ones I find useful from time to time.

This is just my 2 cents; Matt could probably give you a more detailed
and better answer; I'll include him on this response.  You may also
wish to ask the emerging-sigs mailing list
(http://lists.emergingthreats.net/mailman/listinfo/emerging-sigs) for
people's opinions.

Cheers,

-L0rd Ch0de1m0rt