[Snort-users] How to best do DB *and* syslog logging?

Miguel Alvarez miguellvrz9 at ...11827...
Thu Dec 1 02:32:28 EST 2011

On Wed, Nov 30, 2011 at 8:03 PM, beenph <beenph at ...11827...> wrote:
> On Wed, Nov 30, 2011 at 11:45 AM, Miguel Alvarez <miguellvrz9 at ...11827...> wrote:
>> Right now, I'm logging my snort alerts back to a syslog server but I'd
>> like to start playing with Snorby.  Please correct me if I'm wrong but
>> I think the ideal way to do this would be to log via unified2 and use
>> barnyard to send the alert data to snorby's DB but I can't lose my
>> syslog functionality.  I really wish barnyard was able to do this on
>> non-Windows boxes!  But what would be the best way to achieve this
>> short of running two separate snort instances?
>>
> If you need local syslog and forward them, barnyard2 currently support
> this on windows and non windows system.
>
> If you need remote syslog logging
>
> You can access the feature in its current branch branch via
>
> https://github.com/binf/barnyard2/tree/RemoteSyslogFix

I didn't realize this.  Actually, I just checked that repository out
and see this on lines 180-181 of
https://github.com/binf/barnyard2/blob/RemoteSyslogFix/etc/barnyard2.conf:

#   host                - specify a remote hostname or IP with
optional port number
#                 this is only specific to WIN32 (and is not yet fully
supported)

I read the last line to mean that remote sysloging was only available
for Win32.  But I'm glad to hear that's not the case!

And thank you to everyone else for their suggestions as well -- I'll
be playing with Snorby, Sagan and ELSA soon!