[Snort-users] Snort 2.9.1 Now Available

vincent at ...15035... vincent at ...15035...
Wed Aug 24 05:13:58 EDT 2011

Hi everyone,

There are substantial differences in the snort-2.9.1.tar.gz archive and in
that extracted from the  snort-2.9.1-1.src.rpm.
Which one is the correct one?
Example:

[raistlin at ...15368... 2.9.1.0]$ diff -rqc tarball srpm|head -10
Files tarball/Makefile.in and srpm/Makefile.in differ
Files tarball/aclocal.m4 and srpm/aclocal.m4 differ
Files tarball/config.h.in and srpm/config.h.in differ
Files tarball/configure and srpm/configure differ
Files tarball/contrib/Makefile.in and srpm/contrib/Makefile.in differ
Files tarball/doc/Makefile.in and srpm/doc/Makefile.in differ
Files tarball/doc/faq.pdf and srpm/doc/faq.pdf differ
Files tarball/doc/snort_manual.pdf and srpm/doc/snort_manual.pdf differ
Files tarball/etc/Makefile.in and srpm/etc/Makefile.in differ
Files tarball/m4/Makefile.in and srpm/m4/Makefile.in differ

[raistlin at ...15368... 2.9.1.0]$ diff -rqc tarball srpm|wc -l
58

Example:
diff -rc tarball/aclocal.m4 srpm/aclocal.m4
*** tarball/aclocal.m4  Thu Jul 14 22:48:37 2011
--- srpm/aclocal.m4     Thu Jul 14 22:38:27 2011
***************
*** 13,20 ****

   m4_ifndef([AC_AUTOCONF_VERSION],
     [m4_copy([m4_PACKAGE_VERSION], [AC_AUTOCONF_VERSION])])dnl
! m4_if(m4_defn([AC_AUTOCONF_VERSION]), [2.65],,
! [m4_warning([this file was generated for autoconf 2.65.
   You have another version of autoconf.  It may work, but is not
guaranteed to.
   If you have problems, you may need to regenerate the build system
entirely.
   To do so, use the procedure documented by the package, typically
`autoreconf'.])])
--- 13,20 ----

   m4_ifndef([AC_AUTOCONF_VERSION],
     [m4_copy([m4_PACKAGE_VERSION], [AC_AUTOCONF_VERSION])])dnl
! m4_if(m4_defn([AC_AUTOCONF_VERSION]), [2.63],,
! [m4_warning([this file was generated for autoconf 2.63.
   You have another version of autoconf.  It may work, but is not
guaranteed to.
   If you have problems, you may need to regenerate the build system
entirely.
   To do so, use the procedure documented by the package, typically
`autoreconf'.])])

IMHO, there should be no differences. The SRPMS should only distribute the
tar.gz archive 'as posted' in the download area.

Regards,

Vincent

On Tue, 23 Aug 2011, Snort Releases wrote:

> [...]
>     See the Snort Manual and README.sip for details.
>
>   * POP3 & IMAP preprocessors to decode email attachments in
>     Base64, Quoted Printable, and uuencode formats, and updates
>     to SMTP preprocessor for decoding email attachments encoded
>     as Quoted Printable and uuencode formats.  See the Snort
>     Manual, README.pop, README.imap, and README.SMTP for details.
>
>   * Support for reading large pcap files.
>
>   * Logging of HTTP URL (host and filename), SMTP attachment
>     filenames and email recipients to unified2 when Snort generates
>     events on related traffic.
>
>   * IP Reputation preprocessor, allowing Snort to blacklist or
>     whitelist packets based on their IP addresses. This preprocessor
>     is still in an experimental state, so please report any issues
>     to the Snort team.  See README.reputation for more information.
>
> Additionally, the following updates and improvements have been made:
>
>   * Updates to give shared library rules direct access to gzip
>     decoding capabilities.
>
>   * Rule Option Improvements:
>
>     - Updates to content modifier http_cookie to not include
>       the HTTP header names themselves in the buffer.  This change
>       may affect existing rules that leverage this keyword.
>
>     - Updates to the file_data and base64_data rule option keywords
>       and added a pkt_data rule option keyword that sets the buffer
>       to be used for subsequent content/pcre/etc rule options.
>
>     - Updates to the tcp flag rule option keyword to support 'C'
>       and 'E' for CWR and ECN bits.
>
>     - Updates to byte_extract rule option keyword to support
>       the same string formats as with byte_test and byte_jump.
>
>   * Updates to Snort's build infrastructure and autoconf script
>     for portability and improved checks for library dependencies.
>     To facilitate easier building of Snort on many of the different
>     platforms supported, Snort now uses pkg-config to check for
>     certain library locations.  Obtain pkg-config from freedesktop.org.
>
>   * Many updates and improvements to the Snort documentation.  Special
>     thanks to all of the contributors from the Snort community for
>     working with us and making the documentation more accurate and
>     usable.
>
>   * Updates to the sensitive data preprocessor for handling HTTP
>     traffic and reducing false positives.
>
>   * Updates to Snort's config parsing to provide more meaningful
>     error messages relating to snort.conf errors and configuration
>     display at startup.
>
>   * Updates to Snort's active response packets whether via response
>     keyword or part of inline normalization.
>
>   * Improvements to HTTP Inspect processing of chunked HTTP data.
>     Additional HTTP Inspect alerts for evasion attempts such as small
>     chunks and excessive whitespace in folded headers.
>
>   * Updates to the statistics Snort prints to console or syslog
>     at exit for different preproessors.
>
> Please see the Release Notes and ChangeLog for more details.
>
> Please submit bugs, questions, and feedback to bugs at ...10585...

Vincent S. Cojot, Computer Engineering. STEP project. _.,-*~'`^`'~*-,._.,-*~
Ecole Polytechnique de Montreal, Comite Micro-Informatique. _.,-*~'`^`'~*-,.
Linux Xview/OpenLook resources page _.,-*~'`^`'~*-,._.,-*~'`^`'~*-,._.,-*~'
http://step.polymtl.ca/~coyote  _.,-*~'`^`'~*-,._ coyote at ...15041...

They cannot scare me with their empty spaces
Between stars - on stars where no human race is
I have it in me so much nearer home
To scare myself with my own desert places.       - Robert Frost