[Snort-users] What is the difference in using IPVAR and VAR ?

Mike Lococo mikelococo at ...11827...
Thu Aug 18 16:35:23 EDT 2011

On 08/18/2011 04:00 PM, Michael Steele wrote:
> So if my OS is only ipv4 (Windows XP); as long as I have Snort compiled for
> ipv6 I can use ipvar?

No idea, I don't run Snort on Windows. I speculate that if you can
successfully compile Snort with ipv6 enabled, then you can use ipvar
regardless of what platform you're on.  On the other hand, if you are
really don't care about ipv6, you can just change the ipvars to vars in
the config file.  Except for ipv6 support, they are equivalent and it
doesn't matter which one you use.

If ipv6 is important to you, you MUST you ipvar.
If ipv4 is all you care about, you MAY use either var or ipvar.
If you use ipvar, you MUST compile in ipv6, regardless of whether
you care about or intend to use it.

Cheers,
Mike Lococo