[Snort-users] FATAL ERROR: /usr/local/etc/snort.conf(45) Unknown rule type: ipvar.

waldo kitty wkitty42 at ...14940...
Mon Aug 15 22:42:11 EDT 2011

On 8/15/2011 22:22, Joel Esler wrote:
> Look at the top of the snort.conf file. You should see our recommended compile
> options.

FWIW: that would be the snort.conf distributed with the snort source code OR the
one included in the sourcefire rules archive... i forget where it is but i had
to go looking some time back because the snort.conf out installs were using was
a rather ancient one and (thankfully) it was not being overwritten when rules
and snort versions were updated... "thankfully" because our customizations would
have been lost and that would not have been a pretty picture with complaints
coming from several hundred thousand installs...