[Snort-users] snort is logging alerts but not capturing corresponding packets for some rules

Kumar, Mahendra mkumar at ...15250...
Tue Apr 26 18:25:20 EDT 2011

Hi Joel,
Can I capture packets in tcpdump mode in snort.log and simultaneously in unified format in some other file? If yes, how can I do that so that I can compare and see if the packets missing from snort.log (tcpdump) are in fact logged in unified format.
Thanks

From: Joel Esler [mailto:jesler at ...1935...]
Sent: Tuesday, April 26, 2011 10:49 AM
To: Agustin Roca
Cc: snort-users at lists.sourceforge.net; Jason Brvenik
Subject: Re: [Snort-users] snort is logging alerts but not capturing corresponding packets for some rules

-A cmg on the command line as the alert method.
On Tue, Apr 26, 2011 at 1:48 PM, Agustin Roca <agustin.roca at ...15205...<mailto:agustin.roca at ...15205...>> wrote:
Nice explanation Joel. Which snort flag/option can i use to see the Stream reassembled packet info?

2011/4/26 Joel Esler <jesler at ...1935...<mailto:jesler at ...1935...>>
Actually, Jason is right.  The alert is generated on the pseudo packet, this is correct functionality, so I've closed the bug.

So, James, using the pcap you gave me, I'll get rid of the IPs in the cut and paste here, but I'll make BOLD the line that indicates that the alert is actually on the pseudo packet, and not the individual packet.

snort -c snort.conf -r missed.pcap -A cmg -q

04/26-10:37:43.307954  [**] [1:12280:3] WEB-CLIENT Microsoft Internet Explorer VML source file memory corruption attempt [**] [Classification: Attempted User Privilege Gain] [Priority: 1] {TCP} x.x.x.x:80 -> x.x.x.x:31390
Stream reassembled packet

Above, where is says "Stream reassembled packet" is your indication that the alert was not in fact on one packet, but on the reassembly of the packets.  We call this the pseudo packet.

If you output from Snort in Unified format, you have access to these packets.