[Snort-users] snort is logging alerts but not capturing corresponding packets for some rules

Lay, James james.lay at ...15009...
Tue Apr 26 14:54:17 EDT 2011

LoL...the one time I think I find a real bug and it's by design ;)
Looks like I have some reading to do then.  What alerts are and are not
passed to the pcap file then?  What kind of alerts are pseudo packet?
Thanks again Joel for all your help...hope it wasn't a big waste of
time.

James

From: Joel Esler [mailto:jesler at ...1935...]
Sent: Tuesday, April 26, 2011 11:31 AM
To: Lay, James
Cc: Jason Brvenik; snort-users at lists.sourceforge.net
Subject: Re: [Snort-users] snort is logging alerts but not capturing
corresponding packets for some rules

Actually, Jason is right.  The alert is generated on the pseudo packet,
this is correct functionality, so I've closed the bug.

So, James, using the pcap you gave me, I'll get rid of the IPs in the
cut and paste here, but I'll make BOLD the line that indicates that the
alert is actually on the pseudo packet, and not the individual packet.

snort -c snort.conf -r missed.pcap -A cmg -q

04/26-10:37:43.307954  [**] [1:12280:3] WEB-CLIENT Microsoft Internet
Explorer VML source file memory corruption attempt [**] [Classification:
Attempted User Privilege Gain] [Priority: 1] {TCP} x.x.x.x:80 ->
x.x.x.x:31390

Stream reassembled packet

Above, where is says "Stream reassembled packet" is your indication that
the alert was not in fact on one packet, but on the reassembly of the
packets.  We call this the pseudo packet.

If you output from Snort in Unified format, you have access to these
packets.

On Tue, Apr 26, 2011 at 1:09 PM, Lay, James <james.lay at ...15009...>