[Snort-users] False positive?

Shirk Dog shirkdog_list at ...125...
Mon Apr 11 22:54:34 EDT 2011

There is also bad web design with the mhtml vulnerability with some websites matching the triggering condition.

Shirkdog
Free your mind...
http://www.shirkdog.us

Date: Mon, 11 Apr 2011 21:11:20 -0400
From: jesler at ...1935...
To: Shawn.Jefferson at ...14448...
CC: snort-users at lists.sourceforge.net
Subject: Re: [Snort-users] False positive?

Unfortunately I'm not sure what to tell you, that website exactly matches the vulnerability description and testing that we have done in house.  Import of the same exact css time after time after time.

@import url("Home/AM-Home.css");@import url("Home/AM-Home.css");@import url("Home/AM-Home.css");
It's not a false positive, as that's the triggering condition for the vulnerability. Poor web design?  Maybe, but there is a lot of really interesting code on that page.  Take a look at the source.

On Mon, Apr 11, 2011 at 7:17 PM, Jefferson, Shawn <Shawn.Jefferson at ...14534......> wrote:

The following site triggered SID 1:18196 WEB-CLIENT Microsoft Internet Explorer CSS importer use-after-free attempt.

hxxp://www.automagic.com/

It looks to me like a false positive, in that there doesn’t appear to be an exploit, but just poor web design.  Can someone with more knowledge of how this vulnerability is exploited take a look and share your thoughts?

Shawn

Forrester Wave Report - Recovery time is now measured in hours and minutes

not days. Key insights are discussed in the 2010 Forrester Wave Report as

part of an in-depth evaluation of disaster recovery service providers.

Forrester found the best-in-class provider in terms of services and vision.

Read this report now!  http://p.sf.net/sfu/ibm-webcastpromo

Snort-users at lists.sourceforge.net

Snort-users list archive:

Joel Esler | http://blog.snort.org | http://vrt-blog.snort.org | http://blog.clamav.net