[Snort-users] Problems running 32 bit snort on a 64 bit linux kernel

Sudarshan Raghavan sudarshan.t.raghavan at ...11827...
Thu Apr 7 06:36:25 EDT 2011

I am trying to get 32 bit snort up and running a 64 bit linux kernel
(2.6.33.5). snort starts up fine but, I am seeing an error every time
it has to process a packet. The error "Received error message 22" is
printed for every packet that is read. If I switch to a 32 bit
2.6.33.5 kernel, I don't see any error and everything works fine. It
looks like something is wrong with ipq_read and ipq_message_type
returns a NLMSG_ERROR.

Just to confirm, I compiled the sample code in ip_queue man page as a
32 bit binary and I am seeing the same error as seen on snort when
running on a 64 bit kernel. As expected, the code works fine on a 32
bit kernel.

Is this the expected behaviour? Should snort be compiled as a 64 bit
binary for it work on a 64 bit kernel. Please let me know if you need
more information. If this is not a snort issue but a problem with
netfilter and libipq, please let me know.

Regards,
Sudarshan