[Snort-users] disabling rule groups based on host groups/subnets

Edward Fjellskål edwardfjellskaal at ...11827...
Tue Apr 5 12:28:51 EDT 2011

On 04/05/2011 05:19 PM, Youngquist, Jason R. wrote:
> I was wondering if there was any way to disable rule groups based on host groups or IP subnets?
>
> Ie. with pulledpork and the disablesid.conf file, I can disable rule groups such as "shellcode", "web-iis" etc. globally.
>
> With the threshold.conf, I can disable one individual rule for multiple IPs or subnets.
>
> What I would like to be able to do is disable rule group(s) based on host groups or IP subnets.
>
> Is there any way to do this besides maintaining two instances of snort?
>
> Thanks.
> Jason Youngquist
> Information Technology Security Engineer
> Technology Services
> Columbia College
> 1001 Rogers Street, Columbia, MO  65216
> (573) 875-7334
> jryoungquist at ...14244...
> http://www.ccis.edu

Read:
http://www.gamelinux.org/?p=90

You would need to "maintain two instances of snort" kinda...

Basically you would use one snort config for all common rules, then
another snort config for you special networks...

Just a pointer to something that might be relevant :)